Tuesday, November 9, 2010

November 9, 2010


We won our game last night 4-3 in overtime. We were trailing 3-1 in the third period, but we were able to bury two goals in time. We got a lot of help from the referees as well. In overtime, the other team had a 3 on 1, but the ref blew the whistle because one of our players was down in their zone. He was clearly faking an injury, as he went out on the next shift and scored the game winning goal. He was able to celebrate his goal without hobbling, but when it came time to get interviewed after the game, he needed the help of a teammate to walk out of the locker room. 

After the game, Sean and I went to the grocery store to get food for dinner- we made tacos. When I was paying for the groceries, the lady held up an item and said, "Kommer ni ihag hur mycket kostar detta?" Now I've been taking Swedish classes twice a week for the past month, so I tried to impress Sean and the lady by trying to pretend like I understood what she said. I responded by saying, "Jaha" which means "Okay" or "I understand." The lady looked puzzled and the guy behind me started laughing, which then made the lady laugh. The guy said, "She asked you do you remember how much this costs." I was embarrassed and felt like a dumb American.

Sean and I have a routine so that on every other Tuesday, we go to the grocery store to stock our kitchen. We go through the store with our little baskets, and when we find something, I put one in my basket and he puts the same thing in his basket. We eat a lot and go through food quickly, so we find that this way works. 

Last Friday, Sean had a bunch of the guys on his team over because they had the weekend off. It was fun to see more people in our apartment. Before the party, we made a couple new additions to our apartment. We bought christmas lights and tied them through the wooden beams in the ceiling. Sean's friend, Erik, gave us a table and six chairs for our place. However, we're down to five chairs after I broke one when trying to sit in it. 

On Saturday night, I went out with Logan Miller, the other American on my team. We had trouble getting into the bars and clubs, because they said we were too young, but I think we just didn't look the part. After about an hour and a half, we finally got into a club. I handed my ID to the bouncer, and after glancing at it, he looked up and said, "You're from New Jersey? Do you watch the Sopranos? Do you live near that house?" I didn't know what answer he was looking for so I just said, "Yes, I live right near where they filmed the show." His eyes opened wide and he yelled, "That's awesome! Come right in." I never thought being from New Jersey would ever get me in somewhere overseas.

No comments:

Post a Comment